Breaking Boundaries for Writers of Film, Games, Books, Comics and VR/AR.
Who should attend?
Do you write or want to write for film, games, books, comics or VR/AR? And if so could you ramp up your game? Do you want the ability to move from one to the other or write for more than one genre?
Or are you just getting started? Do you have a brilliant novel brewing? Can’t get those crazy game characters out of your head? Spend your days dreaming about scripts or comic characters?
Is it time to become the creative director of your writing career, leave the day job behind for good?
If the answer is YES to ANY of the above, then WRITERS GAME is the event for you.
Please note: Focused workshops form the majority of our event and so spaces are limited.
WRITERS GAME is a weekend of Masterclass, Workshops and Networking, designed to not only help you master the art of writing great narratives that capture the imagination, but how to develop and run a sustainable creative enterprise.
Morning plenary sessions with instruction on: How to brand yourself as a writer, to launch and grow successful writer enterprises: Focused story techniques from some of the world’s best storytellers who have sold millions of books, founded companies with directors renowned for series such as Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul and working with studios such as HBO & Disney and Marvel.
Afternoon breakaway workshops
- Writing for Games. Our Game Narrative Instructors will lead you through 9 hours of workshops . They are two of the world’s most successful creatives who have worked on AAA MMOs to indie mobile games and others such as Game Of Thrones Ascent, STAR WARS and Star Trek.
- Writing for Film and Books. Our Filmmakers and Novelists will cut through to the bone and give you real tools to use to create your million dollar concept.
- Writing for Comics. In association with BigBangComics.ie. With 16% of films now created from comics, with film makers, authors, game developers and companies using comics to promote their work, comics are growing in importance. Pulse College Dublin will take you on two afternoon workshops, with real usable systems and insights on graphic book creation including how to create comics even if you can’t draw.
- Writing for Virtual Reality The writers AR/VR breakout session will explore elements including:
– UX for VR and AR– Storyboarding for VR and AR– Mixed Reality experiences, blending the physical and digital realms– Scripting format exploration for interactive narratives
As the media landscape evolves and overlaps, the opportunities for creative and passionate writers to dominate in all these entertainment industries are huge. We want attendees to not only learn how to excel in their chosen writing field, but also how to bridge the gap between the film, game, book, comic and VR industries.
Our Speakers/Instructors include:
Writing for Games
- Toiya Kristen Finley has nearly 70 published works in fiction, nonfiction, comics/manga, and games. She co-founded the Game Writing Tutorial at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco – the GDC Online Tutorial with Tobias Heussner. She is currently a GDC speaker.
- Jessica Sliwinski having written for everything from AAA MMOs to indie mobile games, including four years writing quest content forBioWare’s Star Wars: The Old Republic and its first expansion,Rise of the Hutt Cartel, she got a crash course in mobile game design at Zynga, writing for The Ville. Now in her sixth year as Lead Narrative Designer for Disruptor Beam, Jessica uses lessons learned from creating both expansive cinematic experiences and single string quest intros to inform narrative design for story-drivenmobile games such as The Walking Dead: March to War, Star Trek Timelines, and Game of Thrones Ascent.
Writing for Film & Books
- Glenn Meade has written 12 international bestsellers and has been translated into more than 30 languages. He will share his incredible knowledge on how to write million-dollar concepts. “A writer of powerfully built and skillfully executed plots. Immerse yourself in his intricately woven intrigue and explosive action, and enjoy them thoroughly!’ – OLEG KALUGIN, former head of the KGB’s First Directorate.
- Jeff Miller has worked in front of and behind the camera for over 35 years. Founder and Managing Director of Interrogate, a film, TV, commercial, music video, branded content, VR, and internet production company with offices in LA, NYC, and Sydney. Interrogate represents a roster of directors that includes the award-winning Vince Gilligan, creator of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. With projects that have won Clios, Cannes Lions, and many other awards, he has in depth experience in visual effects and has worked extensively with leading VFX houses and works directly with Disney, Marvel, and Lucas Films among others. Jeff has filmed and/or produced well over 1000 projects in over 50 countries.
Writing for Comics, Even If You Can’t Draw
- Established in 1990, Pulse College provides the highest standards of professional training courses in audio, music, film, gaming and animation. With courses designed and delivered by experienced working professionals, Pulse is at the forefront of professional industry training courses. The college is recognised internationally for its world-class facilities, the standard of its training programmes, and quality of its graduates.
Writing for VR/AR
- General Manager and Producer at Virtual Reality Ireland, she is a VR Consultant, she is a Speaker, Community creator and facilitator.
Virtual Reality consultant and content producer with 15 year parallel careers in both technology and the arts (theatre, film, radio).Since discovering Virtual Reality in Jan 2015, and realising the potential for this immersive medium, she has been researching and developing concepts for how Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality, can impact our experiences at work and at play.
Part of morning sessions for all writers: Creating a Sustainable Writer’s Career
- Orna Ross is not only a Novelist, Poet, former Literary Agent and Creative Community Builder, she is billed as “One of the 100 most influential people in publishing.” – by British trade magazine, The Bookseller. She is the founder of the Alliance for Independent Authors, a professional association for authors who self-publish their work. International speaker on creative empowerment, she will lead morning sessions for all our attendees, empowering our writers and other creative entrepreneurs, to launch and grow successful enterprises doing work they love… the creative way.
And yes, we are WRITERS GAME without the apostrophe. There are many permutations. You work it out… 😉
Seat numbers for our breakout sessions are limited, so to avoid disappointment get yours now.